Team Tiering Information
The Leduc & County Basketball Association (LBCA) U11, U13, U15 & U18 division teams play games within the Edmonton Youth Basketball Association (EYBA) league.
The EYBA has several levels of competitive "Tiers" for teams, and the team head coach conducts evaluation sessions for their team at the start of the season and decide which EYBA Tier they want their team to start off in, which is called a "team declaration".
Tier 1/2 are intended for the highest competition teams:
- Teams wanting to play in Tier 1/2 usually must be declare with the EYBA by September 1st.
- Tier 1/2 also participate a seeding tournament in the first few weeks of September to determine if the team will start the season in Tier 1 or Tier 2.
- Teams that play in Tier 1/2 will usually have games on weeknights instead of weekends:
- Tier 1/2 Boys usually have games on Tuesday evenings.
- Tier 1/2 Girls usually have games on Wednesday evenings.
- In the past this Tier was known as A (Tier I) and B (Tier II), so you might still see old references to A/B teams in EYBA literature.
Tier 3+ is intended for higher development teams:
- Teams playing in Tier 3+ need to declare which Tier they want to start in by with the EYBA by September 15th.
- Tier 3 is the highest competition below Tier 1 or 2.
- The lower the Tier number, the more developmental the team is expected to be.
- Teams that play in Tier 3+ will typically have games on weekends (mostly Saturdays with the occasional Friday evening)
- In the past this Tier was known as Community (C+), so you might still see old references to C+ teams in EYBA literature
During the fall-winter season, U11-U15 teams may move up or down in Tier, including Tier 1/2 teams moving 'down' to Tier 3+, or Tier 3+ teams moving 'up' to Tier 1/2.
The EYBA typically has three main rounds per season, and the EYBA will decide which teams can move up or down (or stay) a Tier based on their previous round performance.
- The EYBA has sole & final discretion as to moving team Tiers up or down. The LCBA has no input on team tier movement.
Each season the number of Tiers vary quite a bit based on the number of EYBA teams that register per division.
Below is an example of the 2021-2022 EYBA Fall-Winter Season Tiers:
- EYBA Boys:
- U11: Tier 1 to 6
- U13: Tier 1 to 8
- U15: Tier 1 to 8
- U18 Boys: Tier 1 to 4
- EYBA Girls:
- U11: Tier 1 to 3
- U13: Tier 1 to 5
- U15 Girls: Tier 1 to 5
- U18 Girls: Tier 1 to 2